Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Anniversary in DC

Last week, Houston and I made a trip out to Manasas, VA to visit his mom, her husband and his sister. It was a very relaxing vacation and we did a lot of eating! Houston's mother is a great cook and she definitely made sure that we were fed well. We got to go into DC one day to see tons of monuments and museums. The whole area was really beautiful and seeing all of it in person makes you appreciate our military and our country even more. It truly was a humbling experience seeing the names of the thousands of men who sacrificed their lives in war for our freedom. We were very lucky to walk up on a memorial service for all of the 250 living veterans from the Pacific WWII that the HBO mini series is based off. Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks gave speeches at the memorial and it really was moving to watch the veterans be seated. Most were in wheelchairs but some walked themselves. We all wished that we could have walked down there to shack every single one of their hands and thank them for what they did for our country. It was an honor to be present for that special ceremony. I posted a few pics from the trip but mostly from the day we went into DC. From what we heard, we just barely missed Cherry Blossom season. I'm sure it would look amazing during that time of year! Going to the Manasas battlefields was an educational experience too. Creepy almost because everything looks exactly the same as it did in the Civil War. Thank you to Bryan and Sherlyn for being such wonderful hostess'. Your home is absolutely amazing! You guys have done an incredible job with everything. Hopefully next time I am there I can actually drink some wine in the "wine room" and not chocolate milk :) It was great to see you three and to hang out and catch up. I hope it's not too long before we see you guys out in AZ. I know of a really good reason to come out in October...

No comments: